Maybe I just try to hard. It seems whenever I sit down to expel whatever is going through my head I just end up frustrated because I can't say it as eloquently as I want to. When you talk, thats it, its a one shot deal. You speak and it is over. There is no taking back what you have said because the words are free from the confines of your tongue. Thats what i hate about writing. Whether I am writing music or just writing in this here blog, i find myself trying too hard to be inspired. There is always the option to tear up a piece of paper and start over, or to hit that magical backspace button and erase what i have already expressed. I am beginning to realize that through all of my undoing and erasing I have lost my voice. I am trying too hard to say things the way somebody else might say them.
I listen to a lot of music and, in the course of doing so, have discovered a ton of artists whose work just makes my brain melt. I am amazed at the lyrical genius of John K Samson and the reflective, often introspective writing of John Mayer. In comparison to artists such as these my work seems more like eighth grade poetry. But that is where the problem lies. I am Dan, and the only words that will ever carry any real weight are the ones that come from that place deep inside of me where the real emotion lives. From now on I am restricting the use of my backspace button to editting spelling errors or punctuation mishaps.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment