Friday, November 24, 2006

what stirs the soul...

Why do I feel so restless? Not just restless physically, but emotionally, psychologically and any other "ly" you can think of. What is it that makes the soul stir, that makes my heart beat with this kind of off-beat anticipation. Its like my whole being is gearing up for something new and exciting but nobody has bothered to inform my brain... for once I think I have some ideas about why...

The Bible promises us God's great and perfect rest. Matthew 11:28 says: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." It is obvious that it is not Gods will that we live our entire lives without rest. He wants us to come to Him to find a rest like no other. This leads me to thinking, however that sometimes, perhaps, our restlessness is from God. I believe that God can use our restlessness to open our eyes to His will for our lives. If I am unsettled about the direction my life is headed then perhaps I need to stop and seek God's will. Lately my wife and I have both been feeling this sense of restlessness. Neither of us are entirely certain that we can be happy doing what we are doing (at least in regards to our jobs) for any substantial length of time. I can't help but feel that God is tugging me in some direction other than the one I am heading in. I am really struggling to find God's peace about where I am going.

As I mentioned before, it seems like the only part of me that doesn't know whats coming is my brain.... I was beginning to get frustrated by this whole thing when something struck me: maybe my brain becomes too much of a hindrance to my decision making process. I tend to over-analyze things to the point where I can find more reasons not to do something then you can shake a stick at. I think that our rational nature often stands in the way of big plans God puts in our path. Gods ways don't always make the most sense so I think that we have to remain open to the idea of following God with our hearts. Our heads make terrible navigators sometimes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT new song for you. You'll love it